Resolved
Bill D Jhu

| map-marker Río Segundo, Alajuela

Resolved: Bait & Switch Tactics

Updated by user Jun 12, 2024

Company fixed the issue and I have been provided with apology. I contacted the Indiana Attorney General's office and they mediated a settlement.

Original review May 28, 2024
Rented a car from Avis online via their website. Paid 100% upfront (I wanted to be sure I had a car when I arrived).

I declined insurance coverage as I have primary coverage via my credit card - including international rentals. Upon arrival in Costa Rica, Avis refused to provide me the vehicle without requiring me to purchase additional insurance from them. As I did not know if any other car rental agencies (Avis is off-site at SJO Airport) had any available vehicles to rent, I purchased the insurance as it was the only means to obtain the vehicle I had paid for.

Avis refuses to negotiate this or even discuss it. Stay away if you want to enjoy your vacation rental!!!
Loss:
Pros:
  • Had the car i prepaid for & car was in good condition
Cons:
  • Forced me to purchase insurance to get prepaid for car

Preferred solution: Price reduction

User's recommendation: Stay away from Avis - "They try harder" to take your money!

Jungha c

| map-marker Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

GPS down and overchage

Avis - GPS down and overchage
Avis - GPS down and overchage - Image 2
Avis - GPS down and overchage - Image 3
I rent a car(Rental Agreement #:72033****) and they overcharged which I didn't agree in confirmation letter. (The car is not what I booked.. quality is so bad!!!) And I rent a GPS together, galaxy tab with google map application. But, the google map is down when I push direction or start button after set the direction. I turned the device on/off serveral times, but didn't work. I need that GPS to drive now, so please fix it ASAP!!! Also need your support to get refund overchaged payment.
Loss:
Cons:
  • Overcharged
  • Car in poor condition

Preferred solution: Get the working GPS NOW.. and fix the overchargement.

Yarob A

Complain

Avis - Complain
Avis - Complain - Image 2
Avis - Complain - Image 3
Avis - Complain - Image 4
Avis - Complain - Image 5

Hello,

I am writing to share with you a bad experience for me and my family with Avis in Dubai. I reserved a car for 4 days starting Apr 10 (Rental Agreement number 206****).

When I came to AVIS office at Dubai Airport I was requested to wait for 15 minutes as the car is not ready although it was already 2 am and my family and I were exhausted but we had no choice except waiting. We had waited for 30 minutes but unfortunately the car Mazda 6 arrived but was not clean and they brought a person to clean it but the dust could not be removed (photo followed).

Another car KIA was brought instead of the previous one but it had the same problem where they brought a third car Peugeot which had similar problem but I had to accept it since it was already 4 am and my kids were crying as they were tired and hungry. To be frank with you, I did not expect such an experience with a world class company like AVIS but it was a lesson to me not to deal with AVIS any more.

Preferred solution: Apology

User's recommendation: To carefully select the service pelrovider

Cynthia G Dkm

Verified Reviewer

Surprise and ridiculous fees, poor customer service, long line to pick up car at Avis in airport.

1- FYI- Avis charges you $9.99 for the gas they use to refill the tank after your return. Ridiculous.

2- Other vague fees are added to your final bill, which they will not explain when you call to ask.

3- If you call, expect poor customer service- I was repeatedly placed on long holds and given no resolution.

When I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was told that's not possible. One rep even resorted to responding with dead silence.

4- When picking up the car, despite having a reservation, my family waited in line for 30 minutes at the Avis center in the airport. Not fun. Once it was our turn, our transaction took all of three minutes to complete.

Note to Avis- Why not have two lines at your centers- one for people without reservations, and one for people with reservations?

Price gouging is a known practice for car rentals, not just Avis, but it does not excuse this practice. The terrible customer service I received from Avis (on top of the price gouging) was enough for me to never give them my business again.

Preferred solution: Apology

User's recommendation: Avoid Avis, go elsewhere.

Carole C Pwz

| map-marker Irving, Texas

Price gouging, discrimation, unwilling to work for a solution took advantage of Solar Eclipse event

January 17, 2024, Aviss reservation Pfor Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport to begin on 4/4/2024 and end on 4/9/24. Received email confirmation on 1/17/2024 @10:16 pm.

COST OF RENTAL CAR WAS $540.81which included an additional driver. I used an employee/family discount code.Forwarded email to additional my additional driver the information and her driver license information was added for the reservation.March 7, 2024, received standard email confirming car rental for 4/4/24 to 4/9/24.March 21, 2024 received another email confirming car rental for 4/4/24 to 4/9/24March 28, 2024, received an email confirming car rental for 4/4 to 4/9/24.March 31, 2024, received an email with Important: tips to expedite your upcoming rental which were all taken care of. April 2 2024 a friendly reminder of our upcoming reservation. Identity verification requirements noting Avis does not accept digital driver licenses and to bring a hard copy.April 3, 2024, Called Avis customer service to confirm verbally of rental vehicle.

PLEASE NOTE AT NO TIME IN ANY EMAILS OR WHEN MAKING RESERVATION WAS, I INFORMED THEY WOULD NOT HONOR ANY DISCOUNTS.

AT NO TIME WHEN I PLACED THE RESERVATION AND IN ANY OF THE NUMEROUS EMAILS WAS I ASKED TO SUPPLY A CORPORATE ID OR EMPLOYEE ID!

RESERVATION - 72113****

ON APRIL 4TH when I arrived at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport, proceeded to Aviss rental center to pick up car, I presented my reservation papers, driver license, etc. The customer service rep proceeded to tell me Avis could not honor my rental reservation because I did not have a company badge or ID and they were not honoring any employee/family discount and they notified everyone of this via emails. No one, including the company, received any emails. My sibling offered the rep her corporate credit card to use instead.

The rep refused saying the CC and license must be the same name. This was impossible since it was a 4-hour ride to Dallas airport for my sibling. I suggested taking off the discount and I would pay the difference. I was flatly told no they could not do this.

When I asked why they would have to cancel the original rental and would have to pay the current rate for that day and I couldnt afford the prices they were charging When I asked the price, again, I was told again, they are expensive, and I couldnt afford them. Thus begins a 2 ½ hour debacle. I requested to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor said they do not honor the discount.

I said I understand this and all I want to do is to pay the discount fee difference and be on my way. Again, I was told they cannot do this; they would have to cancel the original reservation and open up a new one at the current rate and it is high, and I could not afford it. This was repeated several more times during the conversation with several people hearing this. I asked to speak to an AVIS customer service representative, explained the entire scenario who was not extremely helpful either.

The following ideas were given to AVIS for a possible solution:

1.Take off the discount and pay the difference Cannot do that have to cancel the reservation.

2.I was ok with cancelling the reservation and paying the original daily rental fee when I made the original reservation Cannot do that. Has to be the current rate and I cannot afford it.

3.Rent for day, drive to my destination 4 hours away and turn into Austin airport cannot do that, car has to be turned back to the original airport.

4.There is no bus service or train service from Dallas to Austin, Texas.

5.Finally, after 2 ½ hours at the counter and two children who had been traveling all day and are now tired, hungry and another 4 hours ahead of us before we reached our final destination and with no other choices left a decision was made to rent the car at the current rate.

6.Then another problem was my niece had a limit on her CC and she could not pay cash or use her debit card AVIS does not accept either. I paid with my Capital One CC and when asked for my license I said my niece would be the primary driver, which was not allowed since the name on the license had to match the CC. I asked are you really going to charge me for the additional driver after all this and the rep said yes.

I had to pay an additional charge of $65 to add another driver. The final bill was $2030.

This is a clear case of price gouging because of the Eclipse. I was discriminated against because I am a senior citizen.

Regardless of my age, I should have never been spoken to and told at least 4 times loud enough for other customers around me to hear the rep say, you cant afford the amount. Yes, I am on a fixed income and my bill went from $550 to $2000 dollars!

User's recommendation: Go elsewhere

Pax G

| map-marker College Park, Georgia

Predatory Business Practices, Poor Quality, Worse Customer Service

Avis - Predatory Business Practices, Poor Quality, Worse Customer Service
Avis - Predatory Business Practices, Poor Quality, Worse Customer Service - Image 2

I was quoted $300.

They told me it would be an extra $300 for taxes and fees.

Another $300 for being underage (I had to re-explain my age and have them look at my license in their hand to get this charge removed).

Another $300 deposit.

I was told they would charge me the $300 deposit now then settle up at the end. (I assumed that meant they'd charge me only $300 right then).

They gave me a bill for $600.

They took $900 out of my account.

Then they gave me a car with a dried flyer stuck to the windshield.

They will not give me my deposit back until days after my vacation, so my trip was essentially ruined.

Upon posting my review, Avis customer service contacted me. Outcome of contact by Avis customer service came out to condescending email letting me know they will email my receipt to me...so, no improvement on customer service or predatory business practices.

Loss:
Pros:
  • Close to airport
Cons:
  • Will take all money in your account with no shame

User's recommendation: Never use Avis

Alan H Zxt

| map-marker Tampa, Florida

Charged for extras not asked for

Avis - Charged for extras not asked for
Tampa airport Avis charged me for extras that I did not request. Even after asking what these were for, they told me they were included in the price that British Airways charged me. The only extra I asked for was prepaid fuel. They rip you off and don't provide an invoice, they confuse you by making false claims that it's included when it's in fact a chargeable extra.
Loss:
Cons:
  • Rip you off by adding extras not requested

Lilian Wnf

| map-marker Albany, New York

To rent a cari was taken by a avis rep for 300l

To rent a cari was taken by a avis rep for 300l
To rent a cari was taken by a avis rep for 300l - Image 2
I bought a walmart money card American express for 300.00 and then avis asked for another 100.00 I did that .I never got the car rental and I'm out 300.00 dollars. I was able to get the 100.00 back,but not the 300.00.the avis phone number i used to rent lthe car is 217354**** kevin is the name of the person that i spoke with.
Melanie C Ndp

| map-marker Laguna Niguel, California

Very upset customer

I turned in a rental car to the Asheville office, Ashley checked the car in actually went outside got in the car and checked it in. She said it was great and gave me a receipt for $744.72, rental agreement number 66077****.

The next day they added a misc charge of almost a hundred dollars . My bank paid it and it caused my account to go negative and then got closed out because it was negative for so long because I didn't even know about it. It went to $827.97. I called the Asheville office trying to find out what the charge was for and Ashley told me I would have to call the 800 number to find that out.

So I did, I had to explain the story at least 5 times by now. I ask for a refund because I feel like they owe me one, she told me the car looked great? Why did they put a cleaning fee on it? I stopped and got all the trash out and cleaned it before I came, it wasn't even dirty.

Since when do you detail a rental car? Someone in another office told me they could only give me 20 percent back. I said no can I speak to s supervisor? They told me one would call within 24 hours, no call.

I called back the next day tried to speak to a supervisor, I couldn't they told me again one would call within 24 hours. I finally got through to Asheville again and talked to Ashley who was very rude and hung up on me. She is going to say I was rude and I might have been but that was about the 10th time I had told the story. I did not say one cuss word and had someone right beside me that will verify.

If I don't hear from someone within 24 more hours I'm taking Avis rental to court. We will let a judge decide if it's right to put money on your bill after you get a receipt and checked out!

Loss:
Cons:
  • Very rude no help

Eugenia W Dex

| map-marker El Paso, Texas

Horrible customer service & rude agent

Original review Apr 28, 2024

The agent had short Curly blonde hair . She didnt go over policy with me and declined my reservation.

I asked to speak to a manager , she wouldnt get me a manager , she didnt wear a badge and wouldnt give me her name . She told me to call Avis and Priceline to cancel my reservation and get my refund . She was the rudest agent Ive ever met in my life . If she isnt happy at her job why working for this company?

Hire people that are happy to assist customers and friendly . What a shame! I dont think Ill ever do business with avis again . Problem was not resolved , I left unhappy and frustrated.

I was there got 2 hours !!! The worst day ever

Loss:
Cons:
  • Cancel fee
  • Expensive cars
  • Unprofessional agents
Guest

What reason did she give for not renting to you? If you used a 3rd party site like Priceline, etc they are the ones who have your money, you are their customer.

Lastly, it is not safe these days to give out names. There are too many lunatics out there who will take your name and blast you all over the internet and/or stalk you and possibly hurt you.

What the h
reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2523325

I booked the reservation with Priceline using my debit card. I didnt have a credit card but I have used my debit card before

Guest

You didn’t give details on the issue.

View more comments (2)
map-marker Waukesha, Wisconsin

My Recent Trip To Ft Lauderdale- AVIS Nightmare

On my recent trip to Ft Lauderdale, Florida. I reserved a Chevy Tahoe but upon my arrival I was told there weren't any available.

The only explanation received was "sir it's spring break" in a very condescending tone which is a completely unacceptable answer. If I reserve a specific type of vehicle, it should be marked off on your schedule and inventory as reserved and unavailable to anyone else. period. Instead I'm told that all you have is a minivan or an 8 passenger full size van to give me.

The lady at the counter was completely unhelpful, refused to help, check for a different vehicle or issue any credits, and I was told "all I can do is give you a vehicle". I finally got the vehicle and it has window tint all scratched up and peeling off the front windows, the interior and exterior were both filthy, had a musty stench inside, and had less than 1/4 tank of gas, which again is completely unacceptable. We continued on, crammed all of our luggage in the back and enjoyed our vacation and upon return I called customer service looking for a credit due to receiving a minivan with much less room rather than the Tahoe I reserved along with the bad experience and overall customer service. I'm then told "sir the Minivans rental rate is more than the Tahoe, basically telling me I got an upgrade and should be grateful!

So much for customer satisfaction meaning absolutely anything. Again, completely unacceptable. Who in their right mind is going to pay more for a minivan vs a full size SUV??? After expressing my displeasure I get offered a lousy $50 credit, again, completely unacceptable.

Not only did I not get the vehicle I reserved but I received a filthy, poorly taken care of vehicle with hardly any gas in the tank and then snide, condescending customer service on top of it. Returning the vehicle at the Key West Airport was lacking as well. They basically took the keys, never checked the vehicle, didn't ask for mileage, didn't check the gas level, didn't give me any paperwork, no thanks for choosing Avis, just took the keys and said...see ya! I get that it was spring break and busy, but I'm a vice president and run a company, if I acted in this manner I wouldn't have any customers left

***UPDATE***

After AVIS replied to my review, they asked me to submit my info, rental agreement number and an explanation of what happened.

I did, and I received this response from customer service, still offering no resolution.

It's crystal clear that AVIS could care less about customer satisfaction, if you have any issues they won't do anything to rectify the situation. Be smart, steer clear of Avis for your car rental needs, there are many much better options available that will make sure you're completely satisfied and have a good experience with them

User's recommendation: Stay Away. There are much better options that care about customer satisfaction, not just lining their pockets

Resolved
Neil F Sov

| map-marker North Charleston, South Carolina

Resolved: HORRIBLE Customer Service

Avis - HORRIBLE Customer Service
Updated by user Jan 12, 2024

Company fixed the issue and I have been provided with apology.

Original review Dec 13, 2023
My company exlusively uses AVIS for car rentals. During a business trip to Miami in November, Avis charged my PERSONAL credit card.

It took over 2 hours being transferred and put on hold to get the charges moved to my corporate card. Despite correcting that charge, THE TOLL CHARGES WERE STILL APPLIED TO MY PERSONAL CREDIT CARD!
During my most recent trip, to Charleston, SC, I went to pick up my car, but my name was NOT listed on the board. When I went to the counter, the agent told me to "look on the board". After a bit of discussion, he finally accepted the fact that my name was NOT listed and told me which spot my car was in.
I should note at this point, the window tint in the FRONT driver and passenger window was more than twice as dark as the back window.

I could NOT see out those windows at night. This is not only dangerous, I've seen people get ticketed for such tinting.
When I turned in the car (on Saturday 12/9), there was NO AGENT checking in cars. I've never turned in a car at the airport where there was no agent checking the cars in... Because of my previous issues with billing from Avis, and no instructions where to leave the car (without anyone to check it in) I wanted a receipt BEFORE I just left the car.

so I went to the counter in the return area.
The agent categorically REFUSED to give me a receipt, saying that "You'll get a receipt via email in 20 minutes). When I told him what stall that I left the car in, he said "You can't leave it there." One agent moved the car, but the agent at the counter REPEATEDLY REFUSED to process the return and give me a receipt, insisting "You will get a receipt by email in 20 minutes"
FIVE days later, I still had NO RECEIPT. I spent over 4 hours on the phone, getting the run around as I tried to get my receipt.

I did finally get a receipt but had to waste a lot of time doing so.
AVIS used to have the motto "We try harder"... they need to change it to "We don't give a damn!"
Pros:
  • Super cheap
Cons:
  • Worst service ever

Preferred solution: Apology

User's recommendation: AVOID AVIS!

map-marker Novi, Michigan

Scam of adding extra fees

Tampa airport Avis representatives are scammers. They signed us up for insurance that we adamantly declined when checking-in for our car. They also charged us double for gas and airport fees than what was agreed. We did not find this out until we got our final bill after we had already flown home. When we called the billing department they refused to take it off and only gave us a credit of $25 which is only a fraction of what they stole from us.

User's recommendation: Speak to a manager when you return your car to make sure any fees you did not agree to are taken off right away. They won’t do anything to help you after you leave.

map-marker Coleraine, Causeway Coast And Glens

Outrageous rip off

Hired a car in Toulouse for a 27 day period. After returning the car I was billed an additional 260 euros because in the word's of Avis, "the minimum rental period was 28 days"?

In over 30 years of renting I have never encountered such rubbish, and asked to see where in the documents/rental contract this was stipulated. No evidence could be provided. Supremely arrogant staff said I could contest their decision but because I had signed the rental contract when I collected the vehicle they could do what they wanted. Entered into arbitration and was refunded the fee.

Absolutely outrageous, an absolute insult to loyal customers. NEVER EVER will I go near Avis again.

User's recommendation: Avoid, it's not worth the stress and having to deal with arrogant service staff

Linda G Qau

| map-marker Río Segundo, Alajuela

Terrible customer service

Avis - Terrible customer service

I rented a vehicle online for use in Costa Rica. We did not arrive until after 9 pm CST.

We waited 1520 minutes outside the airport for someone to pick us to take us the Avis rent a car location even though website states airport location. Upon arrival, we were immediately told that we required a 4x4 vehicle. I let the rep know that we did not require a 4x4 vehicle, and he stated yes, you are going to the green mountains and you must have a 4x4. After several minutes and many time-outs on my part I told him we are only renting an economy car, and then he started with all different types of insurance that we must have.

This rep was rude, obnoxious and scared me to drive. From a bill of $215 this rep wanted to rent me a vehicle for almost $700. We left with a small vehicle and I did not want to drive the car because he also told me that the police were going to confiscate the car if I was driving in an area I was not supposed to drive a small vehicle and if I was not supposed to be driving on that day. He also wanted to charge us $70 with the option to return car on empty and $20 for leaving the car at the airport, which is the location they advertise their office location.

I drove the car for a total of 61 miles within a 5-day span. If you have ever been to Costa Rica that is not far. I have paid over $350 for 61 miles.

I contacted customer service and this was the response: the customer was provided with a Nissan Versa, and it is not appropriate for a sedan vehicle to be used for mountainous areas and non-National routes as it will damage vehicle. We also attach the contract signed by client.

I rented the Nissan Versa that's why they provided me with it, it was not their decision. What was the purpose of attaching the contract, I was aware of what I signed, and we had no intention of driving in the mountains. This was also told to the rep when he was trying to get us to rent a 4x4 vehicle. Why did he assume?

Why can he not apologize? Cant Avis see that this vehicle was not driven? This rep scared me.

We ended up paying double because we had to be shuttled all over due to the rudeness and false accusations of this Avis rep. I should be reimbursed for this reps actions.

Loss:
Cons:
  • Rude reps

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Don’t rent from AVIS! You have better options!

Guest

You state you left with a sedan despite the warning about needing a 4x4 in the mountains. So why the $500 loss claim?

You also claim you paid double because you ended up being shuttled places. Were these shuttle expenses not planned ahead of time or did you use them because of the warning about using a sedan in the mountains?

It sounds like you are mad because you got forewarned about driving in the mountains and couldn’t claim ignorance after the fact. Do better.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2468345

No, I never planned to go to the mountains and we did not go. This rep was trying to get us to rent a 4x4 that we did not need.

We did not plan on getting shuttled to and from places because this is what the car was for. So it was double we paid.

We paid for the car and then we had to pay to get shuttled and taxied to places. The only ignorance was that I did not leave AVIS.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2469390

If you rented the car, why didn’t you use it? Why would you let it sit there and pay for shuttles?

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2469873

He told me that the police were going to confiscate the car if I was driving in an area I was not supposed to drive a small vehicle and if I was not supposed to be driving on that day. When I repeatedly asked him which days were we not supposed to drive and in which areas he looked at me and did not respond.

For this reason I did not want to drive the vehicle. I do not want to get arrested in a foreign country not even in a country I reside in.

View more comments (3)
Jared F Kde

| map-marker Volgograd, Southern Federal District

I left some things in my rental

And I keep calling to try and get them back Im always told wait 14 hours at this point I feel like yall arent trying to give my things back
Loss:
Cons:
  • Alot

Preferred solution: Apology

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article