Fort Myers, Florida

I rented a car from Avis with a group of 6 friends 12/31/14-1/5/15. We needed a large SUV due to the number of people and additional luggage. When we picked the car up, there was a strange smell. We also noticed there were previous renters' belongings still in the car. The gas tank had not been filled and the car had not been cleaned. It was obvious that the car had been put back in the rotation without cleaning the car between renters.

I called Avis customer service once we got to our destination an hour from the airport. The national customer service center immediately offered to take a day off of our rental ($197 off of a $900 bill) and forwarded me to the site to speak directly to the manager. The manager requested we take the car back and exchange it for a new one, but we were not willing to spend 3 hours driving back and forth and exchanging the car on New Years Eve. After telling the manager I would be bringing the car back and renting through another company, she offered a free tank of gas and $100 for us to get the car washed and for the inconvenience. That totaled $297 off of a $900 bill, so at that point we accepted it for what it was.

When we brought the car back, the $100 had been credited and we did not have to pay for additional gas, however the extra day was not taken off of the bill. I spoke with 3 people on site, and they said they had no note of this in their system. They offered $200 credit, but could not give the full $297 and suggested I call the national customer service line since they offered the credit originally. After speaking with 2 representatives, they could see a note of $197 credit in the system but would not honor it because the site had already credited $200.

DO NOT RENT THROUGH AVIS!! They will tell you anything just to keep your business! The (rude) customer service representative acknowledged the fact that I was offered both discounts for separate reasons, however would not honor both because I "shouldn't have been offered both in the first place". Had I known I was only getting $200 off, I would have rented through another company. I should not have been penalized for THEIR lack of communication!!

Product or Service Mentioned: Avis Car Rental.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Avis Cons: Poor customer service, Dealing with customer service.

Comments