2.8K views

On 4/15/2011 I returned an Avis rental car to Springfield Branson Regional Airport. Earlier in the week I'd noticed a crack in the windshield. It started at the base of the windshield and extendded upwards a few inches. Since I didn't recall being hit by a rock, for all I know the crack had started before I rented the car. I was surprised when the woman at the counter asked me to fill out an "accident" report. I assumed the occasional cracked windshield was part of the cost of doing business for a rental car company. After being asked to provide my insurance info, I realized that for Avis at least, it is not.

Today I received a bill from a collection agency instead of a call from my insurance agent. I am appalled that Avis enlisted a collection agency instead of filing a claim using the insurance info I provided. To make matters worse, I'm being charged with a loss of use fee for three days. That is complete nonsense and highway robbery. Nothing about that cracked windshield prevented the car from being driven. My understanding is it takes about an hour to fix a cracked windshield. Along with ridiculous administrative fees of $50, I am livid.

I will never ever rent from Avis again and I will make sure that none of my friends and family are subjected to this brand of "customer service." I will use every means necessary to warn others against renting with Avis. Starting right here.

Review about: Avis Car Rental.

Had an Experience with Avis?

Comments

Horrid! Keeps happening!! I will close all my accounts with Avis.

New York, New York, United States #735888

I rented from Avis for years on company business with no issues.Of course our company does several million a year with Avis.

On a personal trip I rented Avis and returned the car in tact as received. A month later I received an invoice for a windshield replacement. There was nothing wrong with the car when I returned it, the windshield was fine. I even returned it with more gas than it had upon receipt.

I went to our VP of sourcing and he called in the Avis sales rep, who promptly took care of it.

If not for that, I would have been out 300 plus bucks.Not sure what kind of game Avis is trying to pull?

I had an even worse experience with Avis on 9/13/13 my rental car in Kodiak was hit in the parking lot while I was asleep in the hotel.

So I filed a report and Avis provided another car.

They have you sign off on the car before you see it and tell you if you see anything major come back in and fill out a form, I have rented from the same company many times and in the past when I've noted a ding or dent they always said only major damage was necessary to document

Well they filed a claim for the hit and run against my insurance and then they filed a claim against me for a scratch that was on the second car that was there when I got the car!!!

It's a total ripoff and insurance fraud I appealled and it did not help so I am filing a complaint with the state attorney generals office.

Always pay the extra for the rental car insurance!!!

Rented from Avis in Burnaby Canada,when we took the car through a car wash a piece of plastic on the bumper detatched,intact,nothing broken,screws were intact,as were brackets,I believe this was a manufacturing error or from a previous renter as there were "several" previous dings and scrapes on this vehicle.When we returned the vehicle the sales clerk said it wouldnt be any problem and not to worry about it..now I receive a claim amount for an additional $159.19 to screw the plastic piece back on that was perfectly intact ?? If something comes loose on a vehicle from no fault of my own I feel we are absolutely being taken advantage of..

loss of use..you aren't the *** to determine the 'loss of use' time.It's not that the moment you returned your car avis had it fixed IMMEDIATELY.

The car was unable to be rented for days. If you got the coverage on the vehicle you wouldn't have had to worry about loss of use, but you didn't. Avis didn't grab your car upon return and get it fixed immediately, nor should you expect them to.

Get your head out of your a** and stop being so *** and cheap too.It's also not avis's job to file insurance claims for you, that's your problem.

to hey ***s Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States #601513

In our case our insurance agent told us not to take the insurance from Avis and now we are in the same boat with Avis.

And yes Avis does not call it insurance they call it a waiver of claims.

You must be one of the sh** heads from Avis who tries to peddle "waivers".we had a dent in the fender and that took them 6 days you dont have a clue about loss of use

to hey ***s #735967

Does it make you feel better to call others morons and pepper your post with juvenile remarks?Your post should be deleted per the posting policy.

I see no justification for going off on people with legitimate complaints against the way Avis does business.You either work for Avis or like to troll sites like this.

hey morons, that's why you get the insurance on the car.Your own insurance may not cover you.

You want to be cheap and save a little bit of money and in the end, you lose. If you get the insurance with the car rental company, you'll be covered but you could care less.

don't complain because you were too *** to get the coverage and now you're having to deal with it.its not the rental car company's fault you were cheap.

to hey ***s #735971

You would be taken a lot more seriously if you posted your opinion without resorting to name-calling.

After returning an Avis rental car which had no visible damage I recieved a claim notice a month later in the mail.When I inquired, they said the front bumper on the passengers side was badly cracked.

To make a long story short I asked the manager why he did not notify me after discovering the damage. Kenai is a very sdmall airport and I was not more that 20 feet away from the counter waiting for a plane for more than an hour. He stated that he found the damage 10 minutes after i dropped off the vehicle. They had my cell phone, my secrataries number but no contact was made.

I have asked for proof (Managers Report)of when the damage was discovered, 3 weeks later still no proof. I appealed hoping for a managers report and all they said was my appeal was denied. I could not get the manager of claims (Peggy Grigsby) to even return my phone calls.

After 3 weeks of dead ends (I finally did get pictures but never a managers report) I am giving up.My company can fight it or whatever but I warn all who read this...NEVER RENT FROM AVIS