I travel to Chicago 4-6 times a year. My husband has been a Avis customer for over a decade.

On all of our trips, we declined the use of a toll transponder and pay all of our tolls via cash. Our latest trip, December 21-25, Avis proceeded to charge us for a toll transponder use and all the tolls even though we paid every single toll. All the tolls were manned with the exception of one, where we paid the $0.60 via change into the basket. We paid cash for all.

When we contacted Avis regarding this, they disputed it as we did not have cash receipts for any of these tolls and charged us $24.70 for the use of the transponder and service charge for not signing up for the use of the transponder. This is ridiculous. No matter if I get a receipts for each toll paid or pay online after charges are processed via the license plate, Avis appears to have found a way to force you to use their transponder regardless and charge you upwards of 4 times the cost of any toll.

If you do select to use their transponder, you have to pay $20 just to use it upfront. Not fair business practices.

Product or Service Mentioned: Avis Car Rental.

Reason of review: Damaged or defective.

I didn't like: Charged for paid tolls.

• Chicago O hare
  • Avis Car

Comments

rollo2016

Sounds like you used a credit card to rent the car. If so, file a dispute for the charges.

If nothing else, this will cause a dispute fee of (usually)$25 or so to be charged against Avis by your card company.

You may also win the dispute, which is even better, as Avis will not get their silly charge and still have to pay the dispute fee. You might also find a different rental car company or just stay out of Illinois altogether.