Avis - $17.36 for 8 miles of gas!

I was very disappointed that Avis charged me an additional $17.36 after having driven the car a whopping grand total of 8 miles(to/from an airport hotel)!The needle didn't even move on the gas meter.

They (later) said the onus was on me to produce a receipt proving I fueled up w/ 8 miles worth of gas (I guess about 25-50 cents worth) in the car. I called both the asst-manager (Robert-SFO who said he'd take care of it and get back to me and to my knowledge never did) and AVIS direct 1 (800) 352-7900. I finally got a -promise- for a $12 refund (still waiting for confirmation on that) on the $17. I think this is a unfortunate / deceptive practice for several reasons.

1) the return man never mentioned this - just handed me the bill which I was too travel-weary to dispute at the time 2) doesn't make sense to drive miles out the way to fill up a few drops of gas -wear and tear on car / time etc...

3) after paying $108 for the rental they should have some 'grace gas' to avoid this type of insanity.I'm not sure if this is an industry standard (still doesn't excuse it) but needless to say I will AVOID AVIS in future if possible.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Reason of review:
Problems with payment
Product or service
Airport Car Rental
Review category
review #603752

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Avis? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 2 No 2
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Post a comment to start a discussion.

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Avis. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Avis.
Filing a new complaint about